Even minimalists still need a few things! The difference is that we make sure we really value what we do have.
Below is a running list of products I am happy to recommend, and that meet my standards for quality and sustainability. To make this list they must be some combination of: locally made, sustainably sourced, fair-trade, ethically made, from a responsible parent company, paired with an aggressive lifetime guarantee, or bear mark of another commendable attribute.
Clothing & Personal Accessories
- Darn Tough Socks. They have a great fit and pleasing style. Better yet, they have a lifetime guarantee and are made in Vermont.
- Klean Canteen Water Bottles. Everyone should tote around a reusable water bottle, in my honest opinion! I am really happy with the classic 40 oz. for my daily water and the insulated 12 oz. with cafe top for my coffee on the go. They are family-owned and a Certified B Corp.
- Badger Lip Balms. Although you can’t go wrong with any of their flavors, my favorites are the Cool Mint Cocoa Butter Balm and Lavender & Orange Balm. The W.S. Badger Company is a great company, located less than 50 miles away and they make all their products on site. They are an environmentally and socially conscious Certified B Corp.
- Patagonia Clothing. Patagonia has classic styling that I appreciate, and they are leaders in the responsible clothing movement. Also a Certified B Corp, Patagonia gives significantly to environmental movements.
- Pact Organic Clothing. I have recently tried the casual crew neck tee. I wanted something simple, functional, high-quality, and ethically made. I was not disappointed. Since I am new to the Pact brand I can’t yet speak to the longevity of their product, but I am hopeful. They don’t use toxic dyes, pesticides, sweatshops, or child labor. Their products are Fair Trade Certified and use Organic cotton.
- LL Bean Boots. Classic styling and pure function. These boots are great and they come with a lifetime guarantee.
- Dr. Bronner’s Pure-Castille Liquid Soap. There are many reasons for this product making the list. First of all, it’s incredibly versatile. You can clean virtually anything with it, as shown by it’s 18-in-one different uses. Surely that meets a minimalist’s expectations. In addition to the company being a Certified B Corp and Benefit Corporation, this product also has a list of merits. It is made with organic and certified fair trade ingredients and packaged in a 100% post-consumer recycled bottle. My favorite scent in Lavender. (This is a reader added product that I fully endorse.)
Food & Vitamins
- New Chapter. New Chapter produces really high quality herbal supplements and natural vitamins. It is another Certified B Corp to make this list (no surprise) that is located in my hometown. I recently started purchasing their products and I am really impressed by the quality. I recommend the Perfect Calm Daily Multivitamin.
- King Arthur Flour Products. This is, hands down, the best flour widely available at most markets. The company is a Certified B Corp and located about an hour away in Vermont. Like so many others on this list, they use high quality ingredients. I use all variations of their flour and especially like their Parmesan Garlic Bread Dipping Blend to add a bit more flavor to my homemade pizza crusts.
- Lodge Cast Iron Pans. Will last forever and can be used in the oven as well. Due to their porous nature, they only get better with age as they take on more seasoning. These pans are made in the USA and will last forever.
- Insulated French Press. Other than the bags you use to transport the coffee, it produces zero waste and uses the whole bean during the brewing process, so you get all the rich oils from the coffee and nothing goes to waste.
- Moleskine Journals and Notebooks. I recently started journaling and use a Moleskine journal with blank pages. To learn more about my journaling, check out this post. I also use a lined Moleskine journal at work and use the exact same one each time, creating sequential volumes with all my information. They are sharp and clean looking and pleasing to work with.
- Fairware Promotional Products. If you own a business or run a marketing campaign and want to hand out branded products, be sure to check out Fairware. They focus on sourcing high-quality sustainable goods that can be branded to meet your needs. I’ve used them and highly recommend them. They are also a Certified B Corp.
Do you have a low-impact, long-lasting, sustainable product you’d like me to review? Please reach out to me via the Contact page and I’ll get in touch.